Wednesday, November 2, 2011

You know you've gone granola when...

...you start making your own granola.

Over the last year I've had several requests for the granola recipe I use. It's not my own and it's nothing fancy. BUT--store-bought and home-made granola can be expensive, so I went out searching for the most bare bones recipe I could find. And if you make your own vanilla extract, it can be even cheaper.

Sunset Hill Granola
8 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
4 t. vanilla extract
1 t. salt
2 c. nuts (if you have them around. I use extra oats when I don't. The cheapest options are walnuts or peanuts, but it tastes real daggone good with chopped almonds).

Stir brown sugar with 1/2 cup of water and microwave until brown sugar dissolves. Add the vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and stir. In a large bowl, pour mixture onto oats and nuts and stir. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread granola evenly on each sheet. Bake at 275 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hr. Let cool before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment